Additional Agencies

In addition to DEA, there are other federal agencies that work in the drug abuse prevention, treatment and education fields.  These agencies are also an excellent resource for parents.

Center for Mental Health Services (CMHS) – This office is located in the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) within the Department of Health and Human Services.  CMHS leads the national efforts to improve prevention and mental health treatment services for all Americans. More information is available at: or 800/789-2647.

Center for Substance Abuse Prevention (CSAP) - Also part of SAMHSA, CSAP works with states and communities to develop comprehensive prevention systems that create healthy communities. This includes  work and school environments that support families, drug- and crime-free neighborhoods, and positive connections with friends and family.  More information is available at: or 240/276-2420

Center for Substance Abuse Treatment (CSAT) - Also part of SAMHSA, this agency promotes the quality and availability of community-based substance abuse treatment services for individuals and families who need them. More information is available at: or 240/276-2750.

Community Capacity Development Office (CCDO) - This office, within the Department of Justice, works with local communities to design strategies for deterring crime, promoting economic growth, and enhancing the quality of life.  CCDO also oversees the Weed- and- Seed Initiative, a comprehensive multi-agency approach to prevent, control, and reduce violent crime, drug abuse and gang activity in designated high-crime neighborhoods across the country. More information is available at: or 202-616-1152.

National Guard Bureau Counterdrug Program – As part of the Department of Defense (DoD), the National Guard Counterdrug Program offers training to military, law enforcement and community officials in drug supply interdiction and demand reduction techniques; conducts education programs for youth on the dangers of drugs and making positive life choices; and reaches out to more than 3.6 million youth and adults through after- school and in-school programs, summer camps, and mentorship programs. Every state has a Drug Demand Reduction Administrator.  More information is available at or 703-607-2584.

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Impaired Driving Division – This office within the Department of Transportation has the mission of developing partnerships to cooperatively save lives, prevent injuries, and reduce traffic-related health care and economic costs resulting from impaired driving (alcohol and drugs). More information is available at, Traffic Safety, Impaired Driving or 888/327-4236

National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) - As part of the National Institutes of Health, NIDA is the nation’s leading supporter of scientific research on drug abuse and addiction.  More information is available at or 301-443-1124.

Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP) - This office is part of the Executive Office of the President. ONDCP is responsible for overseeing the Administration’s drug control policy for prevention, enforcement and treatment. Each year ONDCP releases the National Drug Control Strategy, which sets out priorities for all of the federal agencies involved in controlling the nation’s drug problem. ONDCP directs the National Media Campaign, the Drug Free Communities program, and High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area program (HIDTA). More information is available at or 888/395-6327.

Office of Safe and Drug-Free Schools (OSDFS) - As part of the Department of Education, OSDFS administers, coordinates, and recommends policy for improving the quality and excellence of programs and activities that are designed for drug and violence prevention.  More information is available at or 202/260/3954.

Working Partners for an Alcohol-and-Drug-free Workplace – Working Partners, in the Department of Labor, helps to build a drug-free workforce by equipping businesses and communities with tools and information to effectively address alcohol and drug problems. More information is available at: or 202-693-5919.